Monday, September 27, 2010

God Time

Glenn has only two speeds; overdrive, for the things he likes to do (this is also known as the "Run until you collapse" mode), and snail's pace, for putting on clothes, eating vegetables, and going to bed; high points for my health insurance wellness program.

I've been feeling that we have less and less time to spare and that 'Grumpy' and 'Stress' seem to be spending more and more time together.

I'm late…I'm late! Street light turn green now…Come on get out of the way. I’ve got to run to Home Depot and pick out some paint. Oh that reminds me I need to get those special bolts that only Lowes has. Better check my outlook calendar on my phone. Oh, no way, I don’t remember making those meeting appointments. Meeting starts in 15 minutes. Daughter’s soccer game at 5. Shop needs to be clean, dust junk everywhere. I need to spend time finishing the house project before cold weather sets in. Need to spend more time with my wife and daughter. Need to spend more time reading my new books.  Accident ahead. Traffic stopped.  I don’t have time for this.  Now where is my list? 

One definition of insanity, attributed to Albert Einstein, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Hmmmm…

Whether family, work or finding time for you, in the mist of a chaotic schedule, I often need to remind myself I need to stop and take time to connect with God. Today, as I was reading Psalms 46 it was good to reflect on two things “God wants us to take time to see His creation and experience Him.”

Psalm 46: 8-10  (Message)

 8-10 ATTENTION ALL! See the marvels of God!
      He plants flowers and trees all over the earth,
   Bans war from pole to pole,
      breaks all the weapons across his knee.
   "Step out of the traffic! Take a long,
      loving look at me, your High God,
      above politics, above everything."

As all the blanks on the calendar are filled in, as the pressure to perform peaks, as dust bunnies dance all over the floor, it is He who makes the sun to shine, the leaves to change colors and our hearts to be full of joy and peace. He wants much more than the hand me downs, of a few words. He wants your relationship. He wants appreciation for the things He creates and does for us. Then and only then does a life of satisfaction and purpose happens inside of us.
 Isaiah 40:29, 31 (Message)
He energizes those who are tired and gives fresh strength to those who wait upon Him.

No comments: